The t-shirt, a classic part of a man’s core wardrobe.
1. Nail the fit. Now, with a lot of other pieces of clothing you can get it adjusted to fit you properly; jackets, dress shirts, but with t-shirts, you got to find the brand that fits you properly. So, when you put on a t-shirt, these are the key points you want to look at. Look at the shoulder points. Right in here you want to make sure that it aligns exactly with your shoulders. If it goes down too low or if it’s too tight, you’re going to want to find another brand. Then, look in the chest area and just understand that a medium in one brand is not going to fit the same as a medium in another. You want to find a company that’s using a model, who has a similar build to you.
Then, look at the torso, if you’ve got a great body that you’ve taken care of, you want to make sure that it has the right type of taper. If you have a little bit of weight in the midsection, you want to have something has a looser fit. Then, the length of a t-shirt, you could possibly get that adjusted, but it is something I will try to find a brand that has a length, so when you raise your hands up it actually still covers your midsection. Unless you’re going to wear it untucked, then you can go a little bit shorter. Now, the length of the sleeves, you want to pay attention to find what’s right for you. If you have a more muscular build, you can go with something shorter. If you have a very thin build, you want to make sure it doesn’t flare out and that perhaps it’s a bit longer.
2. Pay attention to the style. Look for a V. Now, you can wear a crew neck t-shirts and those are classic, they’re good to go, but I think so many men could look better with a V-neck. Now, I’m not talking about a scoop neck, you don’t want something going down here and showing a whole bunch of cleavage. What you want is a classic V that’s just going to give a nice line here. It’s going to help build up the chest, give a very masculine look. Bonus tip for dressing up with a t-shirt is to have a nice watch. Why? Because think about it, guys, when you’ve got this entire area of your arm right here that you can, yes, bring in jewelry and that what watches are, they’re a modern piece of jewelry.
Over a year I’ve had this company as a sponsor of mine. I’m proud to have them as a paid sponsor because this is a great conversation piece. Original Grain, check these guys out. They take wood, they take steel and they bring it together in a beautiful watch. And look at their collections. If you haven’t seen the Chrono, definitely check out that, one of my favorites. Look at the classic. Look at the barrel. Look at the minimalist collection. And, gentlemen, this is their new presentation by the way. Have you seen these boxes? It’s beautiful. This would make a great gift. They’ve got automatic, they’ve got quartz, and they’ve got tons of options. So, again, I’ve got some extras, let me know which ones you like down in the comments and guys I will link to them down in the description and, yeah, go check them out.
3. Go dark. So, why not go light and the white t-shirt is classic, so is the light gray. But, both of those remind us of undershirts, instead look to go perhaps a black, go with charcoal gray, go with navy. You can even expand out to maroons. You can look at a dark olive green. You can go with a true blue. And, what we have is something that’s going to give you a more monochromatic look because I’m going to transition now into point number four.
4. Wear them with a dark-colored pair of jeans. The great thing with a dark-colored pair of jeans the dark-colored shirt that I just talked about is it gives you a monochromatic look. All of sudden we’re able to look at you up and down makes you leaner. It actually so if you got a little bit of weight in the midsection, you’re a bit of a shorter guy, then this is going to make you look taller. It’s going to make you look trimmer and it’s just a great overall look. You can even tuck in the shirt and it’s going to look fine.
5. Go with the right fabric. So, there are a lot of fabric options out there. If you’re going to go with cotton, understand that you’re going to have wrinkles. You’re going to want to go with heavier weight cotton. You can also look at merino wool. So, merino wool is great because it’s not going to have as many wrinkles, but it’s also something that you’ve got to understand it’s going to oftentimes be more expensive, it’s going to be odor resistant, but it’s a great option as well. Now, synthetic materials, synthetic fabrics in general oftentimes are perceived as being lower quality, but synthetic materials can be great for the resistance of in a sense wrinkles. But the issue with synthetics if they’re toothy can look really too sporty and it may not be the type of look you’re going for.
6. Upgrading a t-shirt is to bring in a vest. Now, I’ve talked about vest on and off here at Real Men Real Style. Some guys have mixed feelings; it’s not something they’re used to. But, understand that if you have a good build, if you’ve got larger arms, if you’ve got a build good upper body, you’re going to be very active. I’ve seen photographers, I’ve seen dancers bring invest to their wardrobe with a t-shirt. This is going to be a great look especially if you’re going to be active; you’re going to be moving around. Pay attention to the cut of the vest. The overall look, it’s going to cover up most of the t-shirt so, you know, the t-shirt is not going to be seen, so we’re going to see the vest. You want something that’s been maybe adjusted to fit you, but that right there can really level up the t-shirt.
7. To wrap this up, gentlemen, I want to say try throwing on a jacket. Now, the key here is to go with a jacket color that’s similar to the shirt. If you go with that a little bit more of a monochromatic look, something that’s similar is going to look better than a high contrast. So, don’t try wearing a white shirt with black jacket, instead maybe a blue shirt with a blue jacket. That look right there along with a, you know, the whole monochromatic feel with the darker colored jeans or darker colored trousers is going to give you I think a pretty darn good look.